The top geek stories for the week:
J. J. Abrams hired to direct Star Wars: Episode VII
My take on it:
Personally, I love Abrams directing style. I know he gets lot of crap for having bright lights in the background and shaky camera work, but I thoroughly enjoy a majority of his work.
I first started to like his work when watching Mission Impossible III. I thought there was something a little different to his movie than I had seen, and whether you like it or not, it is different, and I think he'll be able to bring different to the star wars brand, which after the last 3 releases... could really be of use.
City of Munich transitions to Linux/Open Source, Microsoft says it cost them money
My take on it:
A few months back, the city of Munich, Germany was the latest story, and perhaps the most publicized, of companies migrating away from the Windows operating system. Well this week, in retaliation to Munich claiming a €10 million savings by switching, Microsoft conducted their own investigation claiming that it actually cost them more money to switch.
I find this quite funny honestly. Microsoft spent an undisclosed amount of money to attempt to prove that someone else may have spent money on someone else's products. I think they got their feelings hurt a little bit.
For those of you who don't know, Linux is an operating system for your PC, much like Mac OSX is different from Windows, Linux is just another Operating system you can run. But Linux has a horrible reputation for being difficult to use (not true).
Skype eavesdropping possible now?
My take on it:
Since the acquisition of Skype by Microsoft in October 2011, there have a been a number of core architecture changes to the Skype program. Many of these have been to make it easier to integrate into the average desktop. But these changes have also made it completely possible to for the government to conduct wiretaps on your Skype connections. This isn't going to prevent me from using Skype, but if I'm going to be talking about stuff I wouldn't want the government to hear, I would definitely consider something else, perhaps jitsi will be getting installed on my pc soon :-)
J. J. Abrams hired to direct Star Wars: Episode VII
My take on it:
Personally, I love Abrams directing style. I know he gets lot of crap for having bright lights in the background and shaky camera work, but I thoroughly enjoy a majority of his work.
I first started to like his work when watching Mission Impossible III. I thought there was something a little different to his movie than I had seen, and whether you like it or not, it is different, and I think he'll be able to bring different to the star wars brand, which after the last 3 releases... could really be of use.
City of Munich transitions to Linux/Open Source, Microsoft says it cost them money
My take on it:
A few months back, the city of Munich, Germany was the latest story, and perhaps the most publicized, of companies migrating away from the Windows operating system. Well this week, in retaliation to Munich claiming a €10 million savings by switching, Microsoft conducted their own investigation claiming that it actually cost them more money to switch.
I find this quite funny honestly. Microsoft spent an undisclosed amount of money to attempt to prove that someone else may have spent money on someone else's products. I think they got their feelings hurt a little bit.
For those of you who don't know, Linux is an operating system for your PC, much like Mac OSX is different from Windows, Linux is just another Operating system you can run. But Linux has a horrible reputation for being difficult to use (not true).
Skype eavesdropping possible now?
My take on it:
Since the acquisition of Skype by Microsoft in October 2011, there have a been a number of core architecture changes to the Skype program. Many of these have been to make it easier to integrate into the average desktop. But these changes have also made it completely possible to for the government to conduct wiretaps on your Skype connections. This isn't going to prevent me from using Skype, but if I'm going to be talking about stuff I wouldn't want the government to hear, I would definitely consider something else, perhaps jitsi will be getting installed on my pc soon :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment